Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
intr.v. e·rupt·ed, e·rupt·ing, e·rupts
a. To throw or force something out violently, as lava, ash, and gases: The volcano erupted.
b. To be thrown or forced out: Water erupted from the geyser.
2. To develop suddenly: Violence erupted during the protests.
3. To express oneself suddenly and loudly: He erupted in anger.
a. To break through the gums in developing. Used of teeth.
b. To appear on the skin. Used of a rash or blemish.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. erupting or tending to erupt
2. resembling or of the nature of an eruption
3. (Geological Science) (of rocks) formed from such products as ash and lava resulting from volcanic eruptions
4. (Pathology) (of a disease) characterized by skin eruptions
eˌrupˈtivity, eˈruptiveness n
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. bursting forth.
2. pertaining to or of the nature of an eruption.
3. noting a rock formed by the eruption of molten material.
4. causing or accompanied by a rash or the like.
[1640–50; < French]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||eruptive - producing or characterized by eruptions; "an eruptive disease"|
|2.||eruptive - produced by the action of fire or intense heat; "rocks formed by igneous agents"|
geology - a science that deals with the history of the earth as recorded in rocks
|3.||eruptive - actively spewing out lava; "a geyser is an intermittently eruptive hot spring"|
active - (of e.g. volcanos) erupting or liable to erupt; "active volcanos"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.