Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to essentialness: Essential oils
1. Constituting or being part of the nature or essence of something; inherent: "In that era of general good will ... few Americans doubted the essential goodness of their society" (David Halberstam).
2. Fundamentally important or necessary: essential ingredients. See Synonyms at indispensable.
3. Medicine Of, relating to, or being a condition or a disease whose cause is unknown: essential hypertension.
4. Biochemistry Being a substance that is required for normal functioning but cannot be synthesized by the body and therefore must be included in the diet: essential amino acids.
1. Something fundamental.
2. Something necessary or indispensable.
es·sen′ti·al′i·ty (-shē-ăl′ĭ-tē), es·sen′tial·ness n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||essentialness - basic importance|
importance - the quality of being important and worthy of note; "the importance of a well-balanced diet"
vitalness - the quality of being essential to maintain life
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.