Also found in: Thesaurus.
Related to establishmentarian: antiestablishmentarian
1. Of or relating to support for the political or social establishment.
2. Of or relating to support for the official status of an established church.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) denoting or relating to an Established Church, esp the Church of England
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) denoting or relating to the principle of a Church being officially recognized as a national institution
(Ecclesiastical Terms) an upholder of this principle, esp as applied to the Church of England
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
es•tab•lish•men•tar•i•an(ɪˌstæb lɪʃ mənˈtɛər i ən)
1. of or pertaining to an established church, esp. the Church of England, or the principle of state religion.
2. (cap.) of, pertaining to, or favoring the Establishment.n.
3. a supporter or adherent of the principle of the establishment of a church by state law; an advocate of state religion.
4. (cap.) a person who belongs to or favors the Establishment.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.