Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to eutectic: Eutectic mixture, Eutectic point, Eutectic temperature, eutectic alloy
1. Of, relating to, or formed at the lowest possible temperature of solidification for any mixture of specified constituents. Used especially of an alloy whose melting point is lower than that of any other alloy composed of the same constituents in different proportions.
2. Exhibiting the constitution or properties of such a solid.
1. A eutectic mixture, solution, or alloy.
2. The eutectic temperature.
[From Greek eutēktos, easily melted : eu-, eu- + tēktos, melted (from tēkein, to melt).]
1. (Chemistry) (of a mixture of substances, esp an alloy) having the lowest freezing point of all possible mixtures of the substances
2. (Chemistry) concerned with or suitable for the formation of eutectic mixtures
3. (Chemistry) a eutectic mixture
4. (Chemistry) the temperature on a phase diagram at which a eutectic mixture forms
[C19: from Greek eutēktos melting readily, from eu- + tēkein to melt]
1. of greatest fusibility: said of an alloy or mixture whose melting point is lower than that of any other alloy or mixture of the same ingredients.
2. of or pertaining to such a mixture or its properties: eutectic salts.n.
3. a eutectic substance.
[1880–85; < Greek eútēkt(os) easily melted, dissolved]