Also found in: Idioms.
1. Having nothing due or owed on either side: an even-steven transaction.
2. Having a tied score, as in a game.
[even + the name Steven, used as rhyming slang.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. having no balance of debt; neither owing or being owed: Just buy me a drink and we're even-steven..
2. (General Sporting Terms) sport with an equal score
3. (General Sporting Terms) evenly matched
(General Sporting Terms) sport informal with an equal score
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or e′ven-Ste′ven(-ˈsti vən)
1. even (def. 10).
[1865–70; rhyming compound]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.