Also found in: Idioms.
1. Having nothing due or owed on either side: an even-steven transaction.
2. Having a tied score, as in a game.
[even + the name Steven, used as rhyming slang.]
1. having no balance of debt; neither owing or being owed: Just buy me a drink and we're even-steven..
2. (General Sporting Terms) sport with an equal score
3. (General Sporting Terms) evenly matched
(General Sporting Terms) sport informal with an equal score
or e′ven-Ste′ven(-ˈsti vən)
1. even (def. 10).
[1865–70; rhyming compound]