Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A daily evening service in the Anglican Church. Also called Evening Prayer.
2. Roman Catholic Church A service that includes the office of Vespers. No longer in ecclesiastical use.
3. A song sung in the evening.
4. Archaic Evening.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Anglicanism) Church of England Also called: Evening Prayer or vespers the daily evening service of Bible readings and prayers prescribed in the Book of Common Prayer
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) archaic another name for vespers
3. an archaic or poetic word for evening
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
E•ven•song(ˈi vənˌsɔŋ, -ˌsɒŋ)
1. a form of worship said or sung in the evening in the Anglican Church.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||evensong - the sixth of the seven canonical hours of the divine office; early evening; now often made a public service on Sundays|
canonical hour - (Roman Catholic Church) one of seven specified times for prayer
|2.||evensong - (Anglican Church) a daily evening service with prayers prescribed in the Book of Common Prayer|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Abendgottesdienst m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
evensong[ˈiːv/ənˌsɒŋ] n → vespro
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995