excitation(redirected from excitation-secretion)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. The act or process of exciting or an instance of it.
2. The state or condition of being excited.
3. Physiology The activity produced in an organ, tissue, or part, such as a nerve cell, as a result of stimulation.
1. the act or process of exciting or state of being excited
2. a means of exciting or cause of excitement
3. (Electrical Engineering)
a. the current in a field coil of a generator, motor, etc, or the magnetizing current in a transformer
b. (as modifier): an excitation current.
4. (Biology) the action of a stimulus on an animal or plant organ, inducing it to respond
ex•ci•ta•tion(ˌɛk saɪˈteɪ ʃən, -sɪ-)
1. the act of exciting or the state of being excited.
2. a process in which a molecule, atom, nucleus, or particle is excited.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin]
The activity produced in an organ, tissue, or cell of the body that is caused by stimulation, especially by a nerve or nerve cell. Compare inhibition.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||excitation - the state of being emotionally aroused and worked up; "his face was flushed with excitement and his hands trembled"; "he tried to calm those who were in a state of extreme inflammation"|
emotional arousal - the arousal of strong emotions and emotional behavior
fever pitch - a state of extreme excitement; "the crowd was at fever pitch"
sensation - a state of widespread public excitement and interest; "the news caused a sensation"
|2.||excitation - the neural or electrical arousal of an organ or muscle or gland|
arousal - a state of heightened physiological activity
|3.||excitation - something that agitates and arouses; "he looked forward to the excitements of the day"|
chiller, hair-raiser - excitation that makes your hair stand up or that chills your bones; "the movie was an old-fashioned hair-raiser"
thrill - something that causes you to experience a sudden intense feeling or sensation; "the thrills of space travel"