Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
a. The officer second in command of a military unit smaller than a division.
b. The officer second in command of a naval unit.
2. A person holding executive power in an organization.
1. (Military) the second-in-command of any of certain military units. Abbreviation: XO (US)
2. (Military) a specialist seaman officer, responsible under the captain for the routine efficient running of the ship in the US, British (formerly), and certain other navies
1. the officer second in command of a military or naval organization.
2. an officer charged with executive duties.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||executive officer - the officer second in command |
armed forces, armed services, military, military machine, war machine - the military forces of a nation; "their military is the largest in the region"; "the military machine is the same one we faced in 1991 but now it is weaker"