Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of, relating to, or dealing with existence.
2. Based on experience; empirical.
3. Of or as conceived by existentialism or existentialists: an existential moment of choice.
4. Linguistics Of or relating to a construction or part of a construction that indicates existence, as the words there is in the sentence There is a cat on the mat.
An existential word or construction.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. of or relating to existence, esp human existence
2. (Philosophy) philosophy pertaining to what exists, and is thus known by experience rather than reason; empirical as opposed to theoretical
3. (Logic) logic denoting or relating to a formula or proposition asserting the existence of at least one object fulfilling a given condition; containing an existential quantifier
4. (Philosophy) of or relating to existentialism
a. an existential statement or formula
b. short for existential quantifier
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ex•is•ten•tial(ˌɛg zɪˈstɛn ʃəl, ˌɛk sɪ-)
1. pertaining to existence.
2. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of existentialism.
[1685–95; < Late Latin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||existential - derived from experience or the experience of existence; "the rich experiential content of the teachings of the older philosophers"- Benjamin Farrington; "formal logicians are not concerned with existential matters"- John Dewey|
|2.||existential - of or as conceived by existentialism; "an existential moment of choice"|
|3.||existential - relating to or dealing with existence (especially with human existence)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
existential[ˌegzɪsˈtenʃəl] ADJ → existencial
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
existential[ˌɛgzɪsˈtɛnʃ/əl] adj (frm) → esistenziale
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995