Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Anthropology The custom of marrying outside the tribe, family, clan, or other social unit.
2. Biology The fusion of gametes from individuals that are not closely related, as in outbreeding.
ex·og′a·mous (ĕk-sŏg′ə-məs) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Sociology) sociol anthropol the custom or an act of marrying a person belonging to another tribe, clan, or similar social unit. Compare endogamy
2. (Genetics) biology fusion of gametes from parents that are not closely related
exogamous, exogamic adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ex•og•a•my(ɛkˈsɒg ə mi)
1. marriage outside a specific tribe or similar social unit. Compare endogamy.
2. the union of gametes from parental organisms that are not closely related.
ex•og′a•mous, ex`o•gam′ic (-səˈgæm ɪk) adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
the practice of marrying only outside one’s tribe or similar social unit. — exogamic, exogamous, adj.See also: Marriage
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||exogamy - marriage to a person belonging to a tribe or group other than your own as required by custom or law|
marriage, matrimony, spousal relationship, wedlock, union - the state of being a married couple voluntarily joined for life (or until divorce); "a long and happy marriage"; "God bless this union"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.