floss(redirected from expanded PTFE dental floss)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Dental floss.
2. Short or waste silk fibers, especially from the outer surface of the cocoon of a silkworm.
3. Soft, loosely twisted thread, as of silk or cotton, used in embroidery.
4. A downy or silky fibrous substance, such as corn silk or silk cotton.
v. flossed, floss·ing, floss·es
To clean between (teeth) with dental floss.
To use dental floss.
[Perhaps alteration of French floche, tuft of wool, from Old French floc, floche, from Latin floccus.]
1. (Biology) the mass of fine silky fibres obtained from cotton and similar plants
2. (Biology) any similar fine silky material, such as the hairlike styles and stigmas of maize or the fibres prepared from silkworm cocoons
3. (Knitting & Sewing) untwisted silk thread used in embroidery, etc
4. (Dentistry) See dental floss
(Dentistry) to clean (between one's teeth) with dental floss
[C18: perhaps from Old French flosche down]
1. the cottony fiber yielded by the silk-cotton tree.
a. short untwisted silk filaments, often used to make embroidery thread.
b. embroidery thread of silk or fine cotton.
3. any silky, filamentous matter, as the silk of corn.
5. to use dental floss on the teeth.v.t.
6. to clean (the teeth) with dental floss.Also called floss′ silk` (for defs. 1–3).
[1750–60; probably < French floche, as in soie floche floss silk]
floss- A word for untwisted filaments of silk used in making embroidery or satin.
See also related terms for silk.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||floss - a soft loosely twisted thread used in embroidery|
|2.||floss - a soft thread for cleaning the spaces between the teeth|
|Verb||1.||floss - use dental floss to clean; "floss your teeth after every meal"|
n. seda floja;
dental ___ → hilo dental.