Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
1. Subject to use or consumption: an expendable source.
2. Not worth salvaging or reusing: expendable rocket boosters.
3. Not strictly necessary; dispensable: an expendable budget item; expendable personnel.
4. Open to sacrifice in the interests of gaining an objective, especially a military one: expendable civilian targets.
1. that may be expended or used up
2. not essential; not worth preserving
3. able to be sacrificed to achieve an objective, esp a military one
something that is expendable
ex•pend•a•ble(ɪkˈspɛn də bəl)
1. capable of being expended.
2. consumed in use or not reusable.
3. considered to be not worth keeping or maintaining.n.
4. Usu., expendables. an expendable person or thing.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||expendable - suitable to be expended|
replaceable - capable of being replaced
unexpendable - not suitable to be expended
|2.||expendable - (used of funds) remaining after taxes; "spendable income"|
disposable - free or available for use or disposition; "every disposable piece of equipment was sent to the fire"; "disposable assets"