extravasate(redirected from extravasates)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
v. ex·trav·a·sat·ed, ex·trav·a·sat·ing, ex·trav·a·sates
1. Medicine To force the flow of (blood or lymph) from a vessel out into surrounding tissue.
2. Geology To cause (molten lava) to pour forth from a volcanic vent.
1. Medicine To exude from a vessel into surrounding tissue.
2. Geology To erupt.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Pathology) pathol to cause (blood or lymph) to escape or (of blood or lymph) to escape into the surrounding tissues from their proper vessels
2. (Geological Science) to exude (molten material, such as lava) or (of molten material) to be exuded
(Pathology) pathol the material extravasated
[C17: from Latin extra- + vās vessel]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
v. -sat•ed, -sat•ing,
1. to force out, as blood, from the proper vessels, esp. so as to diffuse through the surrounding tissues.v.i.
2. to become extravasated.n.
3. Also, ex•trav`a•sa′tion. extravasated material.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: extravasated
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||extravasate - force out or cause to escape from a proper vessel or channel|
|2.||extravasate - become active and spew forth lava and rocks; "Vesuvius erupts once in a while"|
|3.||extravasate - geology: cause molten material, such as lava, to pour forth|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.