Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A plate covering the front of an electrical device, as of a cell phone, audio receiver, or light switch.
2. A disk attached to the mandrel of a lathe to hold the work to be turned.
3. A protective plate covering the human face, as of a welder or diver.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a perforated circular metal plate that can be attached to the headstock of a lathe in order to hold flat or irregularly shaped workpieces
2. (Mechanical Engineering) Also called: surface plate a flat rigid plate used to check the flatness and squareness of the faces of a component
3. (General Physics) the part of a cathode-ray tube carrying the phosphor screen
1. a perforated disk mounted on a spindle of a lathe for holding work to be turned.
2. the part of a protective headpiece, as a diver's or astronaut's helmet, that covers the upper portion of the face.
3. the glass front of a cathode-ray tube upon which the image is displayed.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||faceplate - a protective covering for the front of a machine or device (as a door lock or computer component)|
computer, computing device, computing machine, data processor, electronic computer, information processing system - a machine for performing calculations automatically