Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to facia: Prima facia
1. (Architecture) a variant spelling of fascia
2. (Automotive Engineering) a variant spelling of fascia
3. (Biology) a variant spelling of fascia
4. (Zoology) a variant spelling of fascia
fas•ci•a(ˈfæʃ i ə for 1, 3–5; ˈfeɪ ʃə for 2 )
n., pl. fas•ci•ae (ˈfæʃ iˌi)
for 1, 3–5; fas•cias (fā′shəz) for 2.
1. Also called fas′cia board`. facia.
a. one of a series of horizontal bands, each projecting beyond the one below to form the architrave in the Ionic and Corinthian orders.
b. any relatively broad, flat horizontal surface on a building, as the outer edge of a cornice.
a. a band or sheath of connective tissue covering, supporting, or connecting the muscles or internal organs of the body.
b. tissue of this kind.
4. Zool., Bot. a distinctly marked band of color.
[1555–65; < Latin: band, bandage; akin to fasces]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||facia - a sheet or band of fibrous connective tissue separating or binding together muscles and organs etc|
connective tissue - tissue of mesodermal origin consisting of e.g. collagen fibroblasts and fatty cells; supports organs and fills spaces between them and forms tendons and ligaments
aponeurosis - any of the deeper and thicker fascia that attach muscles to bones; resemble flattened tendons