Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Done or achieved with little effort or difficulty; easy: a facile victory.
b. Working, acting, or done with ease and fluency: a facile writer; facile prose. See Synonyms at easy.
2. Arrived at or presented without due care, effort, or examination; superficial: We don't need another facile solution to a complex problem.
3. Archaic Pleasingly mild, as in disposition or manner.
1. easy to perform or achieve
2. working or moving easily or smoothly
3. without depth; superficial: a facile solution.
4. archaic relaxed in manner; easygoing
[C15: from Latin facilis easy, from facere to do]
fac•ile(ˈfæs ɪl; esp. Brit. -aɪl)
1. quick in comprehension or action: a facile mind.
2. superficial; shallow: a facile answer to a hard question.
3. easily accomplished or attained: a facile performance.
4. fluent; effortless: a facile writing style.
5. Archaic. easy or unconstrained, as manners or persons.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||facile - arrived at without due care or effort; lacking depth; "too facile a solution for so complex a problem"|
superficial - concerned with or comprehending only what is apparent or obvious; not deep or penetrating emotionally or intellectually; "superficial similarities"; "a superficial mind"; "his thinking was superficial and fuzzy"; "superficial knowledge"; "the superficial report didn't give the true picture"; "only superficial differences"
|2.||facile - performing adroitly and without effort; "a facile hand"|
effortless - requiring or apparently requiring no effort; "the swallows glided in an effortless way through the busy air"
|3.||facile - expressing yourself readily, clearly, effectively; "able to dazzle with his facile tongue"; "silver speech"|
articulate - expressing yourself easily or characterized by clear expressive language; "articulate speech"; "an articulate orator"; "articulate beings"
1. superficial, shallow, slick, glib, hasty, cursory I hated him making facile suggestions when I knew the problem was extremely complex.
1. Posing no difficulty: