Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. The act or an instance of gradually diminishing in brightness, loudness, or strength until actual disappearance occurs.
a. A screwball.
b. An act of sliding by a base runner during which the runner veers sideways to avoid being tagged.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Baseball) a baseball pitch that slows and dips as it reaches the batter
2. (Basketball) a basketball shot made while jumping back from the direction of the basket in order to evade an opponent
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
2. a slide in baseball made by a base runner to one side of the base.
3. a jump shot made by a basketball player while falling away from the basket.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.