Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to fag end: ameliorating, not to mention, in the first place, sticking point, pat on the back, up to par
1. The frayed end of a length of cloth or rope.
a. An inferior or worn-out remnant.
b. The last part: "the fag end of this crisis-ridden century" (Wallace Irwin, Jr.).
[Middle English fagge, fag, broken thread in cloth, something that hangs loose.]
1. the last and worst part, esp when it is of little use
2. informal Brit the stub of a cigarette
[C17: see fag2]
1. the last part or very end of something: the fag end of a rope.
2. the unfinished end of a piece of cloth.
3. a remnant or scrap, esp. of cloth at the end of a bolt.
[1605–15; >Middle English fagge flap]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fag end - the time of the last part of something; "the fag end of this crisis-ridden century"; "the tail of the storm"|
|2.||fag end - the frayed end of a length of cloth or rope|