fail-safe(redirected from fail-safing)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to fail-safing: Fail safe operation
fail-safeor fail·safe (fāl′sāf′)
1. Capable of compensating automatically and safely for a failure, as of a mechanism or power source.
2. Acting to discontinue a military attack on the occurrence of any of various predetermined conditions.
3. Guaranteed not to fail: "There is no fail-safe mechanism guaranteed either to contain or to restore presidential authority" (Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.).
A fail-safe mechanism.
1. (General Engineering) designed to return to a safe condition in the event of a failure or malfunction
2. (Military) (of a nuclear weapon) capable of being deactivated in the event of a failure or accident
3. unlikely to fail; foolproof
(intr) to return to a safe condition in the event of a failure or malfunction
1. equipped with a secondary system that ensures continued operation even if the primary system fails.
2. denoting a system of safeguards in which bombers may not proceed past a prearranged point or nuclear weapons may not be armed without direct orders.
3. guaranteed to work; totally reliable.n.
4. a fail-safe mechanism, system, or the like.
Past participle: fail-safed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fail-safe - a mechanism capable of returning to a safe state in case there is a failure or malfunction|
mechanism - device consisting of a piece of machinery; has moving parts that perform some function
|Adj.||1.||fail-safe - guaranteed not to fail; "a fail-safe recipe for cheese souffle"|
secure - free from danger or risk; "secure from harm"; "his fortune was secure"; "made a secure place for himself in his field"
|2.||fail-safe - eliminating danger by compensating automatically for a failure or malfunction; "a fail-safe device in a nuclear weapon to deactivate it automatically in the event of accident"|
safe - free from danger or the risk of harm; "a safe trip"; "you will be safe here"; "a safe place"; "a safe bet"
Designed so as to be impervious to human error or misuse: