Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A stretch of ground free of obstacles to movement.
2. Sports The part of a golf course covered with short grass and extending from the tee to the putting green.
a. A navigable deep-water channel in a river or harbor or along a coastline.
b. The usual course taken by vessels through a harbor or coastal waters.
1. (Golf) (on a golf course) the areas of shorter grass between the tees and greens, esp the avenue approaching a green bordered by rough
2. (Nautical Terms) nautical
a. the navigable part of a river, harbour, etc
b. the customary course followed by vessels
1. an unobstructed passage, way, or area.
2. the part of a golf course where the grass is cut short between the tees and the putting greens, exclusive of the rough, trees, and hazards.
3. the navigable portion of a waterway.
A channel either from offshore, in a river, or in a harbor that has enough depth to accommodate the draft of large vessels. See also draft; watercraft.
Smooth turf between tee and green.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fairway - the area between the tee and putting green where the grass is cut short|
apron - (golf) the part of the fairway leading onto the green
|2.||fairway - the usual course taken by vessels through a harbor or coastal waters|
|3.||fairway - a tract of ground free of obstacles to movement|