Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to fallowness: plow through
a. Plowed but left unseeded during a growing season: soil erosion from fallow fields.
b. Left unplowed and unseeded: fields that had been fallow for many years.
2. Characterized by inactivity: a fallow gold market.
1. Land left unseeded during a growing season.
2. The act of plowing land and leaving it unseeded.
3. The condition or period of being unseeded.
tr.v. fal·lowed, fal·low·ing, fal·lows
1. To plow (land) without seeding it afterward.
2. To plow and till (land), especially to eradicate or reduce weeds.
[Middle English falow, from Old English fealh, fallow land.]