Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to fantail: fantail goldfish
1. Any of a breed of domestic pigeons having a rounded, fan-shaped tail.
2. Any of several birds of the genus Rhipidura of eastern Asia and Australia, having a long, fan-shaped tail.
3. Any of a breed of goldfish having a wide, fanlike double tail fin.
4. A fanlike tail or end.
5. Nautical The stern overhang of a ship.
1. (Breeds) a breed of domestic pigeon having a large tail that can be opened like a fan
2. (Animals) any Old World flycatcher of the genus Rhipidura, of Australia, New Zealand, and SE Asia, having a broad fan-shaped tail
3. a tail shaped like an outspread fan
4. (Architecture) architect a part or structure having a number of components radiating from a common centre
5. (Mechanical Engineering) a burner that ejects fuel to produce a wide flat flame in a lamp or furnace
6. (Mechanical Engineering) a flat jet of air and coal dust projected into the air stream of a pulverized-coal furnace
7. (Mechanical Engineering) an auxiliary sail on the upper portion of a windmill that turns the mill to face the wind
8. (Nautical Terms) US a curved part of the deck projecting aft of the sternpost of a ship
1. a tail, end, or part shaped like a fan.
2. a bird having a broad, upward-slanting tail, as one of a breed of domestic pigeon.
4. the rounded overhang of the stern of some ships.adj.
5. (of shrimp) shelled, split almost through, and flattened slightly before cooking.
n (= pigeon) → Pfautaube f