Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. fan·ta·sies
1. The creative imagination; unrestrained fancy.
2. Something, such as an invention, that is a creation of the fancy.
3. A capricious or fantastic idea; a conceit.
a. A genre of fiction or other artistic work characterized by fanciful or supernatural elements.
b. A work of this genre.
5. An imagined event or sequence of mental images, such as a daydream, usually fulfilling a wish or psychological need.
6. An unrealistic or improbable supposition.
7. Music See fantasia.
8. A coin issued especially by a questionable authority and not intended for use as currency.
9. Obsolete A hallucination.
Relating to or being a game in which participants act as owners of imaginary sports teams whose personnel consists of actual players selected from a professional sports league and team performance is determined by the combined statistics of the players.
tr.v. fan·ta·sied, fan·ta·sy·ing, fan·ta·sies
To imagine; visualize.
fan•ta•sied(ˈfæn tə sid)
1. conceived of in or as a fantasy; imagined; storied.
2. dreamt of or hoped for; longingly imagined.
3. Obs. filled with fantasy or fancy; imaginative or whimsical.