Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An annual Old World plant (Vicia faba) in the pea family, having pinnately compound leaves, white flowers with lateral purplish blotches, and long thick pods.
2. The edible seed or green pod of this plant. In both senses also called broad bean, horse bean.
fava bean(ˈfɑːvə) or
nAlso called: broad bean
1. (Plants) an erect annual Eurasian bean plant, Vicia faba, cultivated for its large edible flattened seeds, used as a vegetable
2. (Plants) the seed of this plant
[C20: Italian fava from Latin faba bean]
fa′va bean`(ˈfɑ və)
1. a bean, Vicia faba, of the Old World, bearing large pods containing edible seeds.
[1940–45; < Italian < Latin faba]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fava bean - seed of the broad-bean plant |
broad-bean, broad-bean plant, English bean, European bean, field bean, Vicia faba, broad bean - Old World upright plant grown especially for its large flat edible seeds but also as fodder
bean - any of various seeds or fruits that are beans or resemble beans
|2.||fava bean - shell beans cooked as lima beans|
shell bean - unripe beans removed from the pod before cooking