Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A man favored for nomination as a presidential candidate by his own state delegates at a national political convention.
2. A famous man viewed proudly by others who are from the same geographic area, such as a town or state, or who share some other group identity.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in the US) a politician popular in his home state but little admired beyond it
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a person nominated as a presidential candidate at a national political convention by the delegates from his or her home state.
2. an eminent, successful man who is highly regarded in his hometown or state.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.