oat(redirected from feel oats)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to feel oats: feel one's oats
1. often oats(used with a sing. or pl. verb)
a. Any of various grasses of the genus Avena, especially A. sativa, widely cultivated for their edible grains.
b. The grain of any of these plants, used as food and fodder.
2. A musical pipe made of an oat straw.
[Middle English ote, from Old English āte.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) an erect annual grass, Avena sativa, grown in temperate regions for its edible seed
2. (Plants) (usually plural) the seeds or fruits of this grass
3. (Plants) any of various other grasses of the genus Avena, such as the wild oat
4. (Instruments) poetic a flute made from an oat straw
5. feel one's oats informal
a. to feel exuberant
b. to feel self-important
6. get one's oats slang to have sexual intercourse
7. sow one's oats sow one's wild oats to indulge in adventure or promiscuity during youth
[Old English āte, of obscure origin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a cereal grass, Avena sativa, cultivated for its edible grain.
2. Usu., oats. the grain of this plant.
3. any of several other plants of the genus Avena, as the wild oat.
4. Archaic. a musical pipe made of an oat straw.Idioms:
feel one's oats,
a. to feel or show giddy animation.
b. to have a strong sense of one's own power.
[before 900; Middle English ote, Old English āte]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||oat - annual grass of Europe and North Africa; grains used as food and fodder (referred to primarily in the plural: `oats')|
animated oat, Avene sterilis, wild red oat - Mediterranean oat held to be progenitor of modern cultivated oat
|2.||oat - seed of the annual grass Avena sativa (spoken of primarily in the plural as `oats')|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n usu pl → Hafer m; oats pl (Cook) → Haferflocken pl; to sow one’s wild oats (fig) → sich (dat) → die Hörner abstoßen; he’s feeling his oats → ihn sticht der Hafer; to be off one’s oats (hum inf) → keinen Appetit haben; he hasn’t had his oats for some time (hum inf) → der hat schon lange keine mehr vernascht (hum sl)
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007