Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to felt: trek
a. A fabric of matted, compressed animal fibers, such as wool or fur, sometimes mixed with vegetable or synthetic fibers.
b. A material resembling this fabric.
2. Something made of this fabric.
Made of, relating to, or resembling felt.
v. felt·ed, felt·ing, felts
1. To make into felt.
2. To cover with felt.
3. To press or mat (something) together.
To become like felt; mat together.
Past tense and past participle of feel.
the past tense and past participle of feel
a. a matted fabric of wool, hair, etc, made by working the fibres together under pressure or by heat or chemical action
b. (as modifier): a felt hat.
2. (Textiles) any material, such as asbestos, made by a similar process of matting
3. (Textiles) (tr) to make into or cover with felt
4. (Textiles) (intr) to become matted
[Old English; related to Old Saxon filt, Old High German filz felt, Latin pellere to beat, Greek pelas close; see anvil, filter]
pt. and pp. of feel.
1. a nonwoven fabric of wool, fur, or hair, matted together by heat, moisture, and great pressure.
2. an article made of this fabric.
3. any matted fabric or material, as of asbestos fibers or old paper, used for insulation and in construction.
4. a heavily fulled woven fabric of cotton or wool in which the weave is virtually indiscernible.adj.
5. pertaining to or made of felt.v.t.
6. to make into felt; press together.
7. to cover with or as if with felt.v.i.
8. to become matted together.
[before 1000; Middle English, Old English]
Past participle: felted
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||felt - a fabric made of compressed matted animal fibers|
|Verb||1.||felt - mat together and make felt-like; "felt the wool"|
|2.||felt - cover with felt; "felt a cap"|
cover - provide with a covering or cause to be covered; "cover her face with a handkerchief"; "cover the child with a blanket"; "cover the grave with flowers"
|3.||felt - change texture so as to become matted and felt-like; "The fabric felted up after several washes"|
change - undergo a change; become different in essence; losing one's or its original nature; "She changed completely as she grew older"; "The weather changed last night"
felt2(felt) noun, adjective
(of) a type of cloth made of wool that has been pressed together not woven. She bought a metre of felt to re-cover the card table (= table for playing cards on); a felt hat. vilt لِبْد، ألْباد филц feltro plst; plstěný der Filz filt; filt- τσόχαfieltro vilt نمد huopa feutreלבד नमदा, फैल्ट कपड़ा filc, pust; pusten, filcan filc beledu flókaefni, filt feltro フェルト (の) 펠트 fetras, veltinis filcs sejenis kain viltfiltfilc کراستی feltro fetru фетр; сукно plsť; plstený klobučevina filc filt ผ้าสักหลาด keçe 氈，氈製品 повсть; фетр اون وغیرہ کو دبا کر بنایا گیا کپڑا nỉ; phớt 毡，毡制品