Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Having returned to an untamed state from domestication: a pack of feral dogs.
b. Existing in a wild or untamed state.
2. Of or suggestive of a wild animal; savage: a feral grin.
1. (Biology) Also: ferine (of animals and plants) existing in a wild or uncultivated state, esp after being domestic or cultivated
2. Also: ferine savage; brutal
3. derogatory slang Austral (of a person) tending to be interested in environmental issues and having a rugged, unkempt appearance
4. derogatory slang Austral a person who displays such tendencies and appearance
5. slang Austral disgusting
6. slang Austral excellent
[C17: from Medieval Latin ferālis, from Latin fera a wild beast, from ferus savage]
1. (Astrology) astrology associated with death
2. gloomy; funereal
[C17: from Latin fērālis relating to corpses; perhaps related to ferre to carry]
fe•ral(ˈfɪər əl, ˈfɛr-)
1. existing in a wild state; not domesticated or cultivated.
2. having reverted to the wild state.
3. ferocious; savage; brutal.
[1595–1605; < Medieval Latin, Late Latin ferālis= Latin fer(a) wild beast + -ālis -al1]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||feral - wild and menacing; "a pack of feral dogs"|