Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Having returned to an untamed state from domestication: a pack of feral dogs.
b. Existing in a wild or untamed state.
2. Of or suggestive of a wild animal; savage: a feral grin.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biology) Also: ferine (of animals and plants) existing in a wild or uncultivated state, esp after being domestic or cultivated
2. Also: ferine savage; brutal
3. derogatory slang Austral (of a person) tending to be interested in environmental issues and having a rugged, unkempt appearance
4. derogatory slang Austral a person who displays such tendencies and appearance
5. slang Austral disgusting
6. slang Austral excellent
[C17: from Medieval Latin ferālis, from Latin fera a wild beast, from ferus savage]
1. (Astrology) astrology associated with death
2. gloomy; funereal
[C17: from Latin fērālis relating to corpses; perhaps related to ferre to carry]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
fe•ral(ˈfɪər əl, ˈfɛr-)
1. existing in a wild state; not domesticated or cultivated.
2. having reverted to the wild state.
3. ferocious; savage; brutal.
[1595–1605; < Medieval Latin, Late Latin ferālis= Latin fer(a) wild beast + -ālis -al1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||feral - wild and menacing; "a pack of feral dogs"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. wild, untamed, uncultivated, undomesticated, unbroken There are many feral cats roaming the area.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007