Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. fern·er·ies
1. A place or container in which ferns are grown.
2. A bed or collection of ferns.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -eries
1. (Botany) a place where ferns are grown
2. (Botany) a collection of ferns grown in such a place
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
fern•er•y(ˈfɜr nə ri)
n., pl. -er•ies.
1. a collection of living ferns.
2. a place where ferns are grown.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Fernerya collection of ferns, 1863.
Dictionary of Collective Nouns and Group Terms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.