festoon(redirected from festooned)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to festooned: declivities
1. A string or garland, as of leaves or flowers, suspended in a loop or curve between two points.
2. A representation of such a string or garland, as in painting or sculpture.
tr.v. fes·tooned, fes·toon·ing, fes·toons
1. To decorate with or as if with festoons; hang festoons on.
2. To form or make into festoons.
[French feston, from Italian festone, from festa, feast, from Vulgar Latin *fēsta; see feast.]
1. a decorative chain of flowers, ribbons, etc, suspended in loops; garland
2. (Art Terms) a carved or painted representation of this, as in architecture, furniture, or pottery
a. the scalloped appearance of the gums where they meet the teeth
b. a design carved on the base material of a denture to simulate this
a. either of two Zerynthia species of white pierid butterfly of southern Europe, typically mottled red, yellow, and brown
b. an ochreous brown moth, Apoda avellana the unusual sluglike larvae of which feed on oak leaves
5. to decorate or join together with festoons
6. to form into festoons
[C17: from French feston, from Italian festone ornament for a feast, from festa feast]
1. a string or chain of flowers, foliage, ribbon, etc., suspended in a curve between two points.
2. a decorative representation of this, as in architectural work or on pottery.v.t.
3. to adorn with or as if with festoons: to festoon a hall.
4. to form into graceful curves or loops: to festoon curtains.
5. to connect by festoons.
[1670–80; < French feston < Italian festone decoration for a feast, derivative of festa feast]
Festoona chain or garland of things suspended. See also catena, chain.
Examples: festoon of banners, 1852; of cobwebs; of flowers, 1732; of ivy; of ribbons, 1870; of vines, 1792.
Past participle: festooned
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||festoon - a curtain of fabric draped and bound at intervals to form graceful curves|
|2.||festoon - an embellishment consisting of a decorative representation of a string of flowers suspended between two points; used on pottery or in architectural work|
embellishment - a superfluous ornament
|3.||festoon - flower chains suspended in curves between points as a decoration|
flower chain - flowers strung together in a chain
|Verb||1.||festoon - decorate with strings of flowers; "The public buildings were festooned for the holiday"|
n → Girlande f; (in curtain etc, Archit) → Feston m