Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A wheel or portion of a wheel placed horizontally over the forward axle of a carriage to provide support and stability during turns.
b. A similar device over the rear axle or axles of a tractor or pickup truck, serving as a coupling for a semitrailer.
2. An additional wheel carried on a four-wheeled vehicle as a spare.
3. An extra and unnecessary person or thing.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a spare wheel for a four-wheeled vehicle
2. (Mechanical Engineering)
a. the coupling table of an articulated vehicle
b. a steering bearing that enables the front axle of a horse-drawn vehicle to rotate relative to the body
3. a superfluous or unnecessary person or thing
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a horizontal ring or segment of a ring, consisting of two bands that slide on each other, placed above the front axle of a carriage and designed to support the forepart of the body while allowing it to turn freely in a horizontal plane.
2. a superfluous or unwanted person or thing.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Before the advent of trucks, the fifth wheel was a semicircular iron ring attached to a wagon’s front axle to give additional support to the rest of the Running gear as the axle pivoted during turns.
1001 Words and Phrases You Never Knew You Didn’t Know by W.R. Runyan Copyright © 2011 by W.R. Runyan
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fifth wheel - someone or something that is unwanted and unneeded|
|2.||fifth wheel - an extra car wheel and tire for a four-wheel vehicle|
car wheel - a wheel that has a tire and rim and hubcap; used to propel the car
|3.||fifth wheel - a steering bearing that enables the front axle of a horse-drawn wagon to rotate|
bearing - a rotating support placed between moving parts to allow them to move easily
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.