Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The act of forming something into a particular shape.
2. A shape, form, or outline.
3. The act of representing with figures.
4. A figurative representation.
a. Ornamentation of a passage by embellishing and often repeating figures.
b. The pattern made by such embellishment or repetition.
1. (Classical Music) music
a. the employment of characteristic patterns of notes, esp in variations on a theme
b. decoration or florid ornamentation in general
2. (Rhetoric) the act or an instance of representing figuratively, as by means of allegory or emblem
3. (Art Terms) a figurative or emblematic representation
4. (Art Terms) the act of decorating with a design
fig•u•ra•tion(ˌfɪg yəˈreɪ ʃən)
1. the act of shaping into a particular figure.
2. the resulting figure or shape: emblematic figurations of the sun and the moon.
3. the act of representing figuratively.
4. a figurative representation.
5. the act of marking or adorning with a design.
a. musical ornamentation used to embellish a melodic line.
b. the figuring of a bass part.
[1400–50; late Middle English < Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||figuration - representing figuratively as by emblem or allegory|
representation - an activity that stands as an equivalent of something or results in an equivalent
|2.||figuration - decorating with a design|
decoration - the act of decorating something (in the hope of making it more attractive)