Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
Related to filar: Filar micrometer
1. Of or relating to a thread.
2. Having fine threads across the field of view for measuring small distances, as in the eyepiece of a telescope.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. of thread
2. (General Physics) (of an optical instrument) having fine threads across the eyepiece forming a reticle or set of cross wires
[C19: from Latin fīlum thread]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. of or pertaining to a thread or threads.
2. having threads or the like.
[1870–75; < Latin fīl(um) a thread + -ar1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||filar - related to or having filaments (especially across a field of view as in the eyepiece of a telescope); "a filar eyepiece"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.