filarial


Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to filarial: Filarial infection

fi·lar·i·a

 (fə-lâr′ē-ə)
n. pl. fi·lar·i·ae (-ē-ē′)
Any of various slender, threadlike nematode worms of the superfamily Filarioidea that are parasitic in vertebrates and are often transmitted as larvae by mosquitoes and other biting insects. Infestation with different species of filariae cause diseases such as lymphatic filariasis (which can lead to elephantiasis) and onchocerciasis.

[New Latin Fīlāria, former genus name, from Latin fīlum, thread; see gwhī- in Indo-European roots.]

fi·lar′i·al (-ē-əl), fi·lar′i·an (-ē-ən) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Adj.1.filarial - related to or infested with or transmitting parasitic worms especially filaria
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
References in periodicals archive ?
Elephantiasis is caused by a variety of roundworms (filarial worms to be precise), which include Wucherereria bancrofti which causes almost 90 per cent of cases while Brugia malayi accounts for most of the remaining 10 per cent.
Although some texts (8,9) refer to those species as filarial nematodes, the intermediate hosts of Diplotriaenoids (including Serratospiculum) are not hematophagous arthropods, as occurs with the Filarioidea, (1) but insects, such as grasshoppers and beetles, ingesting eggs from the hosts' droppings.
Then, within the SMM patient group, we compared those with and without filarial co-infection.
River blindness is a filarial disease, like elephantiasis, and occurs when the parasitic worm Onchocerca volvulus takes up residence in the skin.
Canine Heartworm disease is caused by vector borne filarial worm of the genus Dirofilaria and widely dispersed in most tropical, sub-tropical and temperate regions of the world (Quinn et al., 1998).
He described elephantiasis is a parasite infection that causes extreme swelling in the arms and legs which is caused by a Filarial worm.
The parasite was identified by means of a polymerase-chain-reaction assay as Dirofilaria repens, which is a zoonotic filarial nematode."
Lymphatic Filariasis known as "Elephantiasis," is a chronic parasitic infection that is caused by thread-like parasitic filarial worms, which lodge in the nodes and vessels of the lymphatic system.
Nutman, "Impact of filarial infections on coincident intracellular pathogens: Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Plasmodium falciparum," Current Opinion in HIV and AIDS, vol.
Since they do not form morulae and exclusively infect arthropods and filarial nematodes, Wolbachia are easily differentiated from other closely related genera [28].
Al-Sabi, "Detection and molecular characterization of the mosquito-borne filarial nematode Setaria tundra in Danish roe deer (Capreolus capreolus)," International Journal for Parasitology: Parasites and Wildlife, vol.