Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to fillip: Filip
1. A snap or light blow made by pressing a fingertip against the thumb and suddenly releasing it.
2. Something that excites or stimulates: "Spritely tabasco onions, just a little crunch for the top, were an added fillip" (Alison Arnett).
tr.v. fil·liped, fil·lip·ing, fil·lips
1. To strike or propel rapidly by a fillip: filliped my ear; filliped the pretzel across the counter.
2. To stimulate or arouse.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. something that adds stimulation or enjoyment
2. the action of holding a finger towards the palm with the thumb and suddenly releasing it outwards to produce a snapping sound
3. a quick blow or tap made by a finger snapped in this way
4. (tr) to stimulate or excite
5. (tr) to strike or project sharply with a fillip
6. (intr) to make a fillip
[C15 philippe, of imitative origin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. to strike with the nail of a finger snapped from the end of the thumb.
2. to tap or strike smartly.
3. to drive by or as if by a fillip.v.i.
4. to make a fillip with the fingers.n.
5. an act or instance of filliping; a smart tap or stroke.
6. anything that tends to rouse, excite, or revive; a stimulus.
[1425–75; late Middle English philippe to make a sound with thumb and right forefinger]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: filliped
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fillip - anything that tends to arouse; "his approval was an added fillip"|
positive stimulus - a stimulus with desirable consequences
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun boost, push, spur, spice, incentive, stimulus, prod, zest, goad The news gave a tremendous fillip to businesses.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995