Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Architecture A sculptured ornament, often in the shape of a leaf or flower, at the top of a gable, pinnacle, or similar structure.
2. An ornamental terminating part, as on a post or piece of furniture.
[Middle English, last, finial, variant of final; see final.]
1. (Architecture) an ornament on top of a spire, gable, etc, esp in the form of a foliated fleur-de-lys
2. (Furniture) an ornament at the top of a piece of furniture, etc
[C14: from finial (adj), variant of final]
fin•i•al(ˈfɪn i əl, ˈfaɪ ni-)
1. a relatively small ornamental terminal feature at the top of a gable or spire.
2. a terminating ornament, as on the top of a post or a piece of furniture.
3. a curve terminating the main stroke of the characters in some italic type fonts.
[1400–50; < Anglo-French *finial or Anglo-Latin *finiālis, alter. of Latin finālis; see final]
finial- The decorative knob on the top of a lamp, holding the shade on.
See also related terms for lamp.