Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
v. fin·ished, fin·ish·ing, fin·ish·es
a. To stop (doing an activity or task) after reaching the point at which there is nothing left to do: finished cleaning the room.
b. To bring to a required or desired state: finish an assignment; finish a painting. See Synonyms at complete.
a. To arrive at or attain the end of: finish a race.
b. Sports To perform the last maneuver in (an offensive play), scoring a goal.
3. To consume all of; use up: finish a pie; finished off the pizza.
4. To give (wood, for example) a desired or particular surface texture.
5. To destroy; kill: finished the injured horse with a bullet.
6. To bring about the ruin of: The stock market crash finished many speculators.
1. To come to an end; stop: a story that finishes with a twist.
2. To reach the end of a task, course, or relationship: The speaker finished with a rousing call to action.
3. Sports To score a goal as the last maneuver in a play: a good forward who just can't seem to finish.
1. The final part; the conclusion: racers neck-and-neck at the finish.
2. The reason for one's ruin; downfall: Stealing the computer codes proved to be his finish.
3. Something that completes, concludes, or perfects, especially:
a. The last treatment or coating of a surface: applied a shellac finish to the cabinet.
b. The surface texture produced by such a treatment or coating.
c. A material used in surfacing or finishing.
4. Completeness, refinement, or smoothness of execution; polish.
5. The flavor left in the mouth after wine has been swallowed.
finish with (someone)
To stop interacting with (someone), especially to stop subjecting (someone) to something.
[Middle English finishen, from Old French finir, finiss-, to complete, from Latin fīnīre, from fīnis, end.]
1. (Professions) a craftsman who carries out the final tasks in a manufacturing process
2. (Boxing) boxing a knockout blow
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||finisher - (baseball) a relief pitcher who can protect a lead in the last inning or two of the game|
baseball, baseball game - a ball game played with a bat and ball between two teams of nine players; teams take turns at bat trying to score runs; "he played baseball in high school"; "there was a baseball game on every empty lot"; "there was a desire for National League ball in the area"; "play ball!"
slammer - a person who closes things violently; "she's a dramatic slammer of doors"
|2.||finisher - a racing driver who finishes a race|
|3.||finisher - a painter who applies a finishing coat|
painter - a worker who is employed to cover objects with paint
varnisher - someone who applies a finishing coat of varnish
|4.||finisher - a worker who performs the last step in a manufacturing process|
worker - a person who works at a specific occupation; "he is a good worker"
stitcher - a garmentmaker who performs the finishing steps
|5.||finisher - a race car that finishes a race|
|6.||finisher - an animal that wins in a contest of speed|
racer - an animal that races
laboratorio industriale per il coloure