Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to firebox: Firefox
1. A chamber, such as the furnace of a steam locomotive, in which fuel is burned.
2. A box containing a fire alarm.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) the furnace chamber of a boiler in a steam locomotive
2. an obsolete word for tinderbox
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the box or chamber containing the fire of a steam boiler, furnace, etc.
2. a box or panel with a device for notifying the fire station of an outbreak of fire.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||firebox - a furnace (as on a steam locomotive) in which fuel is burned|
furnace - an enclosed chamber in which heat is produced to heat buildings, destroy refuse, smelt or refine ores, etc.
steam locomotive - a locomotive powered by a steam engine
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.