Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The first, highest, or best group in a system of classification: a restaurant of the first class.
2. The most luxurious and most expensive class of accommodations on a commercial airplane, train, passenger ship, or other conveyance.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
the class or grade of the best or highest value, quality, etc
adj (first-class when prenominal)
1. of the best or highest class or grade: a first-class citizen.
2. excellent; first-rate
3. of or denoting the most comfortable and expensive class of accommodation in a hotel, aircraft, train, etc
a. (in Britain) of or relating to mail that is processed most quickly
b. (in the US and Canada) of or relating to mail that consists mainly of written letters, cards, etc
5. (Education) education See first10
by first-class mail, means of transportation, etc
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the best, finest, or highest class, grade, or rank.
2. the most expensive and most luxurious class of accommodation on trains, ships, airplanes, etc.
3. (in the U.S. Postal Service) the class of mail consisting of letters, postal cards, or the like, together with all mailable matter sealed against inspection.
1. of the highest or best class or quality.
2. best-equipped and most expensive.
3. given or entitled to preferred treatment, handling, etc.adv.
4. by first-class conveyance.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||first class - the highest rank in a classification|
|2.||first class - mail that includes letters and postcards and packages sealed against inspection|
mail - the bags of letters and packages that are transported by the postal service
correspondence - communication by the exchange of letters
|3.||first class - the most expensive accommodations on a ship or train or plane|
accommodation - living quarters provided for public convenience; "overnight accommodations are available"
|Adv.||1.||first class - by first class conveyance; with first class accommodations; "we always travel first class"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.