Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
1. often First Lady The wife or hostess of the chief executive of a country, state, or city.
2. The foremost woman of a specified group or profession: the first lady of the American theater.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n (often capitals)
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in the US) the wife or official hostess of a chief executive, esp of a state governor or a president
2. a woman considered to be at the top of her profession or art: the first lady of jazz.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. (often caps.) the wife of the president of the U.S. or of the governor of a state.
2. the wife of the head of any country.
3. the foremost woman in any art, profession, or the like.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||first lady - the leading woman in an art or profession|
|2.||first lady - the wife of a chief executive|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.