Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to fisher: Fischer
1. One that fishes, as a person or ship engaged in fishing: "Her son-in-law was a splendid fisher. One day he caught a beautiful big fish" (James Joyce).
a. A carnivorous mammal (Martes pennanti) of northern North America, having thick, dark-brown fur. Also called pekan.
b. The fur of this animal.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a person who fishes; fisherman
a. a large North American marten, Martes pennanti, having thick dark brown fur
b. the fur of this animal
3. (Christian Churches, other) fisher of men an evangelist
1. (Biography) Andrew. 1862–1928, Australian statesman, born in Scotland: prime minister of Australia (1908–09; 1910–13; 1914–15)
2. (Biography) Saint John. ?1469–1535, English prelate and scholar: executed for refusing to acknowledge Henry VIII as supreme head of the church. Feast day: June 22
3. (Biography) John Arbuthnot 1st Baron Fisher of Kilverstone. 1841–1920, British admiral; First Sea Lord (1904–10; 1914–15); introduced the dreadnought
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a fisherman.
2. a dark-furred North American marten, Martes pennanti.
3. the fur of this animal.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fisher - someone whose occupation is catching fish|
trawler - a fisherman who use a trawl net
|2.||fisher - large dark brown North American arboreal carnivorous mammal|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
amerikai fekete menyéthalász
(old, = fisherman) → Fischer m; fishers of men (Bibl) → Menschenfischer pl (Bibl)
(= animal) → Fischfänger m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007