Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to fishery: Fish farming
n. pl. fish·er·ies
1. The industry or occupation devoted to the catching, processing, or selling of fish, shellfish, or other aquatic animals.
2. A place where fish or other aquatic animals are caught.
3. A fishing business.
4. A hatchery for fish.
5. The legal right to fish in specified waters or areas.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -eries
a. the industry of catching, processing, and selling fish
b. a place where this is carried on
2. (Fishing) a place where fish are reared
3. (Fishing) a fishing ground
4. (Angling) another word for piscary2
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
fish•er•y(ˈfɪʃ ə ri)
n., pl. -er•ies.
1. a place where fish are bred; fish hatchery.
2. a place where fish or shellfish are caught.
3. the occupation or industry of catching, processing, or selling fish or shellfish.
4. the legal right to fish in certain waters or at certain times.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Fisherya collection of fish of different kinds, 1828; a group of fishermen, 1710.
Dictionary of Collective Nouns and Group Terms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fishery - a workplace where fish are caught and processed and sold|
pearl fishery - a fishery where they fish for pearl oysters
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. N (= area) → caladero m, pesquería f; (= industry) → pesca f, industria f pesquera
see also agriculture
see also agriculture
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
fishery[ˈfɪʃəri] n → pêcherie ffish factory n (British) → conserverie f de poissonsfish farm n → centre m de pisciculturefish farming n → pisciculture ffish fingers npl (British) → bâtonnets mpl de poissonfish hook fish-hook n → hameçon m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995