Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
vb (tr, adverb)
1. (often foll by with) to equip or provide: the optician will soon fit you up with a new pair of glasses.
2. slang Brit to incriminate (someone) on a false charge; frame: he was fitted up for the bank job.
3. (Theatre) theatre slang a stage and accessories that can be erected quickly for plays
4. slang Brit a deliberate attempt to make an innocent person seem guilty of a crime
Switch to new thesaurus
1. To cause to be ready, as for use, consumption, or a special purpose:
2. To supply what is needed for some activity or purpose:
4. To be compatible or in correspondence:
accord, agree, check, chime, comport with, conform, consist, correspond, harmonize, match, square, tally.
5. To make or become suitable to a particular situation or use:
6. To conform to another, especially in size and shape:
fit out or up
1. Suitable for a particular person, condition, occasion, or place:
2. Suited to one's end or purpose:
4. Consistent with prevailing or accepted standards or circumstances: