Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
flash pointalso flash·point (flăsh′point′)
1. The lowest temperature at which a combustible liquid or solid produces sufficient vapor near its surface to generate an ignitable mixture with air.
2. The point at which eruption into significant action, creation, or violence occurs: "The shootdown did not increase international tensions to the flash point" (Seymour M. Hersh).
1. (Chemistry) the lowest temperature at which the vapour above a liquid can be ignited in air
2. a critical moment beyond which a situation will inevitably erupt into violence: the political mood has reached flash point.
1. the lowest temperature at which a liquid in a specified apparatus will give off sufficient vapor to ignite momentarily on application of a flame.
2. a point or stage at which an event or situation becomes critical.
3. a situation or area having the potential of erupting in sudden violence.
The lowest temperature at which the vapor of a flammable liquid can be made to catch fire in air.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||flash point - point at which something is ready to blow up|
criticality - a critical state; especially the point at which a nuclear reaction is self-sustaining
|2.||flash point - the lowest temperature at which the vapor of a combustible liquid can be ignited in air|
temperature - the degree of hotness or coldness of a body or environment (corresponding to its molecular activity)
flash pointalso flashpoint