Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A crystalline compound, C15H10O2, that is the parent substance of a number of yellow plant pigments.
2. Any of various derivatives of this compound, found especially in celery and parsley and usually occurring as glycosides.
1. (Elements & Compounds) a crystalline compound occurring in plants. Formula: C15H10O2
2. (Botany) any of a class of yellow plant pigments derived from flavone
[C19: from German Flavon, from Latin flāvus yellow + -one]
1. a colorless, crystalline, water-insoluble compound, C15H10O2, the parent substance of a group of yellow pigments.
2. any derivative of this compound.
[< German Flavon (1895) < Latin flāvus]