Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to flour: fluor
Not to be confused with:
flower – a blossom; a plant that blooms
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
1. A fine, powdery foodstuff obtained by grinding and sifting the meal of a grain, especially wheat, used chiefly in baking.
2. Any of various similar finely ground or powdered foodstuffs, as of cassava, chickpeas, or bananas.
3. A soft, fine powder.
tr.v. floured, flour·ing, flours
1. To cover or coat with flour.
2. To make into flour.
[Middle English, flower, best of anything, flour; see flower.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Cookery) a powder, which may be either fine or coarse, prepared by sifting and grinding the meal of a grass, esp wheat
2. (Cookery) any finely powdered substance
3. (Cookery) (tr) to make (grain) into flour
4. (Cookery) (tr) to dredge or sprinkle (food or cooking utensils) with flour
5. (Metallurgy) (of mercury) to break into fine particles on the surface of a metal rather than amalgamating, or to produce such an effect on (a metal). The effect is caused by impurities, esp sulphur
[C13 flur finer portion of meal, flower]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
flour(flaʊər, ˈflaʊ ər)
1. the finely ground meal of grain, esp. wheat, separated by bolting.
2. a finely ground preparation of fish, bananas, dehydrated potatoes, etc.
3. a fine, soft powder.v.t.
4. to make (grain) into flour; grind and bolt.
5. to sprinkle or coat with flour.v.i.
6. to disintegrate into minute particles.
[1200–50; Middle English; special use of flower]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: floured
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
To coat with seasoned flour, usually before frying.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||flour - fine powdery foodstuff obtained by grinding and sifting the meal of a cereal grain|
plain flour - flour that does not contain a raising agent
wheat flour - flour prepared from wheat
semolina - milled product of durum wheat (or other hard wheat) used in pasta
pastry - any of various baked foods made of dough or batter
bread, breadstuff, staff of life - food made from dough of flour or meal and usually raised with yeast or baking powder and then baked
dough - a flour mixture stiff enough to knead or roll
|Verb||1.||flour - cover with flour; "flour fish or meat before frying it"|
cookery, cooking, preparation - the act of preparing something (as food) by the application of heat; "cooking can be a great art"; "people are needed who have experience in cookery"; "he left the preparation of meals to his wife"
dredge - cover before cooking; "dredge the chicken in flour before frying it"
|2.||flour - convert grain into flour|
convert - change the nature, purpose, or function of something; "convert lead into gold"; "convert hotels into jails"; "convert slaves to laborers"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
flour[ˈflaʊər] n → farine f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Mehl nt
n → Mehlbüchse f
n → Mehlstreuer m
n → (Korn)mühle f
n → Mehlstreuer m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
flour[ˈflaʊəʳ] n → farina
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
wheat, or other cereal, ground into a powder and used for cooking, baking etc. meel طَحين، دَقيق брашно farinha mouka das Mehl mel αλεύριharina jahu آرد jauho farineקמח आंटा brašno liszt tepung hveiti; kornmjöl farina 小麦粉 (일반적으로 곡물의) 가루 miltai milti tepung meelmelmąka اوړه، پوډر farinha făină мука múka moka brašno mjöl แป้ง un 麵粉 борошно آٹا، آرد، پسا ہوا غلّہ bột mì 面粉
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
flour→ طَحِيـن mouka mel Mehl αλεύρι harina jauhot farine brašno farina 小麦粉 가루 bloem mel mąka farinha мука mjöl แป้ง un bột mì 面粉
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.