Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of numerous parasitic flatworms, including the trematodes, some of which infect humans, and the monogeneans, which are chiefly ectoparasites of fish.
2. Any of various flatfishes chiefly of the genus Paralichthys, especially the summer flounder.
[Middle English, flounder, flatfish, from Old English flōc; see plāk- in Indo-European roots. Sense 1, from the flounderlike shape of sheep flukes .]
top: arrowhead and whale flukes
bottom: anchor flukes
1. Nautical The triangular blade at the end of an arm of an anchor, designed to catch in the ground.
2. A barb or barbed head, as on an arrow or a harpoon.
3. Either of the two horizontally flattened divisions of the tail of a whale.
[Possibly from fluke.]
1. A chance occurrence: That spring snowstorm was a total fluke.
2. Games An accidentally good or successful stroke in billiards or pool.
1. (Nautical Terms) Also called: flue a flat bladelike projection at the end of the arm of an anchor
2. (Animals) either of the two lobes of the tail of a whale or related animal
3. (Fishing) Also called: flue the barb or barbed head of a harpoon, arrow, etc
[C16: perhaps a special use of fluke3 (in the sense: a flounder)]
1. an accidental stroke of luck
2. any chance happening
(tr) to gain, make, or hit by a fluke
[C19: of unknown origin]
1. (Animals) any parasitic flatworm, such as the blood fluke and liver fluke, of the classes Monogenea and Digenea (formerly united in a single class Trematoda)
2. (Zoology) another name for flounder21
[Old English flōc; related to Old Norse flōki flounder, Old Saxon flaka sole, Old High German flah smooth]
1. the part of an anchor that catches in the ground, esp. the flat triangular piece at the end of each arm.
2. the barbed head of a harpoon, spear, arrow, etc.
3. either half of the triangular tail of a whale.
1. a stroke of good luck: I got the job by a fluke.
2. a chance happening; accident.
3. an accidentally successful stroke, as in billiards.
[1855–60; of obscure orig.; compare dial. fluke a guess]
1. any of several American flounders of the genus Paralichthys, esp. P. dentatus, of the Atlantic Ocean.
[before 900; Middle English flok(e), fluke, Old English flōc; c. Old Norse flōki]
Either of the two flattened fins of a whale's tail.
Past participle: fluked
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fluke - a stroke of luck|
fortune, luck - an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that leads to a favorable outcome; "it was my good luck to be there"; "they say luck is a lady"; "it was as if fortune guided his hand"
serendipity - good luck in making unexpected and fortunate discoveries
|2.||fluke - a barb on a harpoon or arrow|
barb - a subsidiary point facing opposite from the main point that makes an arrowhead or spear hard to remove
harpoon - a spear with a shaft and barbed point for throwing; used for catching large fish or whales; a strong line is attached to it
|3.||fluke - flat bladelike projection on the arm of an anchor|
projection - any structure that branches out from a central support
|4.||fluke - either of the two lobes of the tail of a cetacean|
cetacean, cetacean mammal, blower - large aquatic carnivorous mammal with fin-like forelimbs no hind limbs, including: whales; dolphins; porpoises; narwhals
tail - the posterior part of the body of a vertebrate especially when elongated and extending beyond the trunk or main part of the body
|5.||fluke - parasitic flatworms having external suckers for attaching to a host|
Fasciola hepatica, liver fluke - flatworm parasitic in liver and bile ducts of domestic animals and humans
Fasciolopsis buski - fluke that is parasitic on humans and swine; common in eastern Asia
laimes gadījumsnecerēta laime
a chance success. Passing the exam was a fluke – I had done no work. gelukskoot نَجاح بِالصُّدْفَه шанс acaso šťastná náhoda der Dusel held; tilfælde τυχαία επιτυχία chiripa, racha de suerte õnnelik juhus خوش شانسی onnenpotku coup de chanceמזל तुक्के से, अकस्मात cisti slucaj, luda sreca mázli kebetulan heppni colpo di fortuna まぐれ当たり 뜻밖의 행운 laimingas atsitiktinumas necerēta laime; laimes gadījums nasib stom geluk lykketreff, hell fuks تصادفى برياليتوب puro acaso noroc удача šťastná náhoda srečno naključje srećna okolnost lyckträff, tur การโชคดีโดยบังเอิญ şans 僥倖成功 щасливий випадок احسن اتفاق، تکّا trò may rủi 侥幸成功
n. duela, gusano de la orden Trematoda;
blood ___ → ___ sanguínea;
intestinal ___ → ___ intestinal;
liver ___ → ___ hepática;
lung ___ → ___ pulmonar.