flunk(redirected from flunking out)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
v. flunked, flunk·ing, flunks
To fail, especially in a course or an examination.
a. To fail (an examination or course).
b. To give a failing grade to (a student).
2. To fail (a drug test, as for a performance enhancing substance).
1. A failure.
2. A failing grade.
To expel or be expelled from a school or course because of work that does not meet required standards.
1. (Education) to fail or cause to fail to reach the required standard in (an examination, course, etc)
2. (foll by: out) to be dismissed from a school or college through failure in examinations
(Education) a low grade below the pass standard
[C19: perhaps from flinch1 + funk1]
1. to fail in a course or examination.v.t.
2. to get a failing mark in.
3. to give a failing grade to.
4. flunk out, to dismiss or be dismissed from a school because of failing grades: to flunk out of college.n.
5. a failure, as in a course or examination.
Past participle: flunked
To be unsuccessful in an examination or course of study, or to assess a student as being unsuccessful.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||flunk - failure to reach a minimum required performance; "his failing the course led to his disqualification"; "he got two flunks on his report"|
failure - an act that fails; "his failure to pass the test"
|Verb||1.||flunk - fail to get a passing grade; "She studied hard but failed nevertheless"; "Did I fail the test?"|
fail - fall short in what is expected; "She failed in her obligations as a good daughter-in-law"; "We must not fail his obligation to the victims of the Holocaust"
fail - judge unacceptable; "The teacher failed six students"
Informal. To receive less than a passing grade:
يَسْقُط في إمْتِحان
susikirsti per egzaminą
a slang word for to fail in an examination. I flunked (maths). druip; gedruip يَسْقُط في إمْتِحان скъсват ме bombar rupnout durchfallen dumpe αποτυγχάνω σε εξέταση, κόβομαιcatear, suspender läbi põruma رد شدن؛ رد کردن reputtaa rater לְהִיכָּשֵׁל असफल होना srušiti (pasti) na ispitu megbukik, elzúg gagal falla essere bocciato in 落第する (시험 등을) 실패하다 susikirsti per egzaminą izkrist eksāmenā gagal zakken voor stryke, dumpeoblać ناكامه كېدل، ماته خوړل ناكامه كول: ماته وركول chumbar a pica завалить prepadnúť pasti (pri izpitu) pasti spricka, köra, bli kuggad สอบตก kalmak, çakmak 考試不及格 провал امتحان میں ناکام ہونا trượt (một kỳ thi, một lớp đại học...) 考试不及格