Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Architecture A decorative motif consisting of a series of uniform, usually vertical flutes, as those incised in the surface of a column.
b. The act of incising or making grooves.
2. The grooves formed by narrow pleats in cloth, as in a ruffle.
1. (Architecture) a design or decoration of flutes on a column, pilaster, etc
2. grooves or furrows, as in cloth
1. ornamentation with flutes, as on a column.
2. a groove, furrow, or flute, or a series of these.