Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various Eurasian birds of the family Muscicapidae that feed on insects, usually catching the insects in flight.
2. Any of various similar birds of the family Tyrannidae, found throughout the Americas. Also called tyrant flycatcher.
3. Any of various similar birds of the Monarchidae family, found in Asia, Africa, and Australia, or the Ptilogonatidae family, found primarily in Central America.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Animals) any small insectivorous songbird of the Old World subfamily Muscicapinae, having small slender bills fringed with bristles: family Muscicapidae. See also spotted flycatcher
2. (Animals) any American passerine bird of the family Tyrannidae
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Also called tyrant flycatcher. any of numerous New World suboscine birds of the family Tyrannidae, that sally from perches to catch insects in the air.
2. any of numerous similar Old World songbirds of the subfamily Muscicapinae.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||flycatcher - any of a large group of small songbirds that feed on insects taken on the wing|
Muscicapa grisola, Muscicapa striata, spotted flycatcher - common European woodland flycatcher with greyish-brown plumage
|2.||flycatcher - large American birds that characteristically catch insects on the wing|
tyrannid - a passerine bird of the suborder Tyranni
superfamily Tyrannidae, Tyrannidae - New World tyrant flycatchers most numerous in Central America and South America but also in the United States and Canada
Contopus virens, pewee, wood pewee, peewee, peewit, pewit - small olive-colored woodland flycatchers of eastern North America
Pyrocephalus rubinus mexicanus, vermillion flycatcher, firebird - tropical American flycatcher found as far north as southern Texas and Arizona; adult male has bright scarlet and black plumage
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.